Regenerative medicine has already helped thousands of people suffering from diseases for which conventional medicine could provide no amelioration or cure and the range of affections that can be treated with this novel approach is continuously widening. Regenerative medicine is definitely changing life for many, so here are a few important things to know about this revolutionary, novel approach.
What Is, in Fact, Regenerative Medicine?
Regenerative medicine is a new treatment solution that uses cellular therapies, tissue engineering, biomaterials and artificial organs to replace the body’s own tissues – an approach that is radically different from conventional medicine that seeks to treat the symptoms of the illness, rather than the root cause. Regenerative therapy also aims to activate the body’s own healing abilities, achieving amelioration or complete healing without methods that are accompanied by side effects.
The Affections that Can Be Successfully Treated by Regenerative Medicine
The range of affections that respond positively to regenerative medical treatments is very wide – here are some:
- Degenerative disc disease in the spine – regenerative medicine proposes various options to treat the painful, often debilitating affection. The solutions include treatment with Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) or PRP treatment in conjunction with methods that use the patient’s own bone marrow cells;
- Rotator cuff injuries – conventional medicine usually treats these injuries with difficult surgery that takes long to recover from and has lots of risks. Regenerative medicine uses minimally invasive methods, such as PRP to trigger the joint’s own abilities to recover;
- Arthritis – arthritis is a very common and extremely painful condition, treated by conventional medicine with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy, often with results that last only for a very short time. Regenerative medicine has achieved great results without requiring the patient to take strong medication, with the help of stem cells or PRP.
The Benefits of Regenerative Treatments
A respected Lowry regenerative therapy clinic asserts that regenerative medicine has many, unique qualities that account for the growing popularity of the treatment approach – here are some:
- Fast healing and reduced pain – regenerative medicine strives to address the root cause of the health problem, instead of trying to manage the symptoms only. Many of the techniques achieve positive results very fast, some of them almost instantly, as they use the patient’s own cells, harvested from the patient’s body, treated with special technologies and then reintroduced into the patient’s body;
- Improved functionality – regenerative medical treatments promote the production of collagen in the body. Collagen is known to strengthen the tendons, the ligaments and the other tissues in the body, therefore stimulating collagen production ensures more efficient healing and reduces the time that the patients need to spend refraining from their favorite activities, such as sports;
- Minimally invasive interventions – the methods used in regenerative medicine do not involve major surgical interventions accompanies by deep and long incisions that take long to heal, are painful and involve high risks of infections and inflammations. Most of the interventions proposed use injections administered in the affected area of the body, thus minimizing the pain or the discomfort associated with the treatment.